This recipe is made with only four natural ingredients. This jam is so good for you that it will make you happy. It’s a little sweet, a little tart and packed full of nutrition. I call it Haskap caviar.
It’s all fruit thickened gently with chia seeds and delicately sweetened with maple syrup. Add or reduce the maple syrup to your taste. To keep it safe, it’s best to treat this preserve as a freezer jam. Try it! We promise it’s guilt-free!
- 4 cups of Haskaps, fresh or frozen
- 4 tbsp of maple syrup
- 2 tbsp of chia seeds
- 2 tbsp of fresh lemon juice
- Add berries and maple syrup to a pot.
- Cook 5 minutes on medium heat, stirring gently and constantly. You don’t want to break up the fruit.
- Stir in chia seeds and lemon juice.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, simmer for about 10 minutes until thickened. It will still appear quite liquid but will gel as it cools.
- Remove from heat.
- Proceed with preserving.
- Date and label your jars.
- Boil jars and lids for 10 minutes.
- Fill jars and let cool.
- Freeze for up to 6 months.
- Refrigerate when open. Keeps for about 3 months.
- Makes 2 cups of jam.